Help for Tutors - How to Tutor Online
Are you an Orton-Gillingham, Barton or Reading Tutor?
Have you wanted to learn the ins and outs of How to Tutor Online?
I've tutored online exclusively for the past few years and I know from experience that there is a lot to learn.
A few key things are:
- What computer and Internet requirements both you and your student need.
- What online policies you should have for successful meetings.
- How you should meet - the best video and screen sharing platform.
- What teaching platforms will allow you to effectively teach reading.
- How to effectively incorporate multi-sensory techniques and instruction in the online setting.
How to Tutor Online is a flexible, 3-session course that covers these things and more.
Depending on the amount of instruction and personal support you need, you can select 1, 2 or all 3 sessions.
SESSION 1: is in the form of a downloadable PDF booklet: "How to Tutor Online"
SESSION 2: Online Tutoring Basics - This session is a one-hour, live, 1-on-1 meeting via Zoom
SESSION 3: Optional Practice Session
SEE BELOW FOR MORE DETAILS AND SIGN UP LINKS FOR EACH SESSION
The Session 1 booklet is designed so that it can be used by itself to give you the basic information you need, plus links to the key tools you can further explore on your own. Optional sessions 2 and 3 are for those who would like further in-person guidance and instruction. Sign up for 1 session at a time, beginning with SESSION 1.
SESSION 1: How to Tutor Online downloadable PDF booklet $25
SESSION 2: Booklet + SESSION 2 $100 for both
SESSION 3: Booklet + SESSIONS 2 AND 3 $125-150 for 30 or 60 minutes
NEW: Receive a 25% discount on an optional subscription to Whizzimo with any session. Whizzimo is the platform I use and recommend for O-G, Barton and reading tutors to help bring multi-sensory reading instruction to life online.
$25 The PDF booklet:
How to Tutor Online: A Practical Guide to Meeting and Teaching Students Over the Internet covers:
- Setting up for Internet tutoring - a review of all you'll need to get started.
- Internet Tutoring Checklist - You can use this to first make sure that you have everything you need, and then use the same checklist to make sure your client is Internet-ready. Items include:
- Online Tutoring Policies Agreement. Spell out your policies ahead of time and avoid potential problems.
- Ready-to-use templates you can tailor for your own use
- Online Tutoring Platforms and Tools - This section describes the main tools I use for video conferencing and teaching students online and provides links to direct online help where you can further explore the platforms in-depth.
- Online resources and ideas for further independent exploration
- Self-guided step-by-step tutorial to help you set up and practice tutoring online.
- Discount code for 25% off a Whizzimo subscription is also included with a booklet purchase.
Download your Session 1 Booklet here:
Two options for download are available:
Online Tutoring for Barton Tutors or Online Tutoring for O-G & Reading Tutors
Select the book below which fits your needs
SESSION 2: Online Tutoring Basics
$75 ($100 total for booklet + Session 2)
This session is for those who wish to spend time learning how to use Zoom and Whizzimo for online tutoring (with a focus on tutoring with Barton or creating O-G lessons in Whizzimo). Time: 1 hour. Alternative tools can also be reviewed.
Note: To get the most out of the meeting, the purchase of the Session 1 How to Tutor Online booklet is required before scheduling a 1-on-1 session.
Schedule your session 2 here: Class Scheduler
SESSION 3: Optional Practice Session:
$25 (30 minutes) $50 (1 hour) (Discount savings on 3rd session. $125-150 total for all 3 sessions)
Additional instruction or create a lesson using what you've learned and practice presenting it online, before you meet with your first student. Time: 30 minutes or 1 hour. This can be scheduled after Session 2.
Schedule your session 3 here - Choose 1:
Class Scheduler - 1 hour session or Class Scheduler - 30 minute session
Creating Online Games Using Realtime Board:
Realtime Board is an online whiteboard that offers lots of flexibility to create online games for your students. Barton and Orton-Gillingham Certified Tutor Dite Bray offers a 1-hour session to show you how it works for a suggested donation of $60 to the Washington State Branch of the International Dyslexia Association. Contact Dite for details at: email@example.com
Questions? Need more info?
Janet Menosky Smith