A Class for Tutors - How to Tutor Online
In the past, I've met informally with other tutors to share what I've learned as I have moved to tutoring entirely online. I loved to be able to help other tutors, but I began to have a dilemma: every Zoom meeting or phone call I had with a fellow tutor would last at least 45 minutes to an hour, and we would barely begin to scratch the surface. There is so much initial information, and I know how much it helps for someone to take the time to show me the ropes. It can save hours of learning it all on my own. However, because of the time factor, I found myself shying away from volunteering to help many people who were asking in different forums.
A few years ago I trained a few tutors who were working with some of my students, and in the process of doing that, I formalized my online tutoring information, so I could teach it as efficiently as possible. Since I have done this, I put together a 2 hour seminar on online tutoring.
Here are some of the things that I cover:
- Setting up for Internet tutoring - a review of all you'll need to get started. .pdf handout included.
- Internet Tutoring Checklist - You can use this to first make sure that you have everything you need, and then use the same checklist to make sure your client is Internet-ready. Items include:
- a review of the computer and Internet set up you'll need
- a computer speed check
- a review of the tutoring environment in the home and suggested policies
- ways to handle technical issues.
- Online Tutoring Policies Agreement. Spell out your policies ahead of time and avoid potential problems. A sample agreement is provided.
- Online tutoring platforms and tools. Includes:
- Zoom – online meeting platform
- Adobe – creating and working with teaching documents
- Whizzimo – tiles and tools you need for O-G tutoring online
- Realtime Boards – creating games, teaching tools
- Educational websites – using with online tutoring
The training is offered in 2, 1-hour sessions for a fee of $125 total. The first session will focus more on online tutoring needs, set up, policies and technical information and the second will focus on tutoring tools and tips to create engaging lessons. Two sessions allows for greater ease in taking in lots of new information.
There should be time in the sessions for questions but you may request added question and answer time for a small additional fee.
Schedule your time using my calendar link: Class Scheduler
Contact me if you have further questions:
Janet Menosky Smith
Please note that my specific training and tutoring focus on O-G based reading intervention. If your focus is in another subject, you can learn many basic principles about online tutoring, but I won't offer as much specific help concerning content, materials and websites. A 1.5 hour session will likely work best for general tutoring needs. Contact me for details.